Spring is finally here after a rather slow start, I’m still not a 100% sure that I will be packing away my heater anytime soon while the wind is still howling like crazed wolves. In the meantime there is another Meatless Monday recipe to count the year away.
For whatever reason, I had a craving for stuffed capsicum never mind the fact that I never had these before I cooked them. I imagined biting into crispy capsicum followed by the satisfying heartiness of brown rice. This recipe was created on the fly, with a few bits and pieces taken as inspiration from around the web.
- 3 capsicums, deveined and gutted then sliced in two, don’t be silly like me slicing the capsicum horizontally, rather slice down the middle
- 1.5 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of shredded tasty cheese
- a handful of coriander
- 150ml sour cream
- Turn the oven to 170 degrees. Roast the capsicum for 20 minutes. Peel the capsicum skin and put aside
- In the meantime brown onion, add cooked brown rice, bean and tomato paste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the rice and and bean mixture into the capsicum
- Sprinkle cheese on top and place back into the oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese melts
- Sprinkle coriander and serve with a spoonful of sour cream
Serves 3 people