The Thames

Lady bug

Thames= pronounced tmz, though why on earth this is so escapes me.

The Thames Festival was on during the weekend and I managed to pop in for part of it, not quite expecting how huge the festival was. We walked across from The London Eye to the Tate and barely scratched the surface of everything that happened during the festival. From swing dancers, tango dancers, Tae Kwon Do and everything in between (even knitting!).

Tango steps

My housemates retired early due to the cold, just as we were supposed to make our way to watch the parade. Somehow, after we split up I followed my nose and ended up in the longest queue of the day, quietly freezing while waiting for some Brazilian churros for a good 45 minutes. They were very good, and it wasn’t just the cold talking. The dough was made on the spot, and fried lovingly (albeitl slowly) before being filled with caramel. The end result was rather suggestive and I saw a few older ladies giggled when they chomped theirs.

For those who are interested Gaucho has a stall in the Greenwich market if you are keen to try some. They do keep quite well and are surprisingly good to take away, just heat them in the oven (180 degree) and enjoy the combination of crunchy dough and gooey caramel.

Brasilian Churros, filled with caramel

I stayed until the end of the parade, finding myself on Black Friar bridge in a prime spot for the parade. Sometimes being short has its advantage, people tend to feel sorry for the lone, short photographer jumping around rather ungracefully with a camera. My camera’s battery was dying at that stage and my hands were shaking from the cold. Despite the warmth of the day, I forgot that autumn was well on its way.

Advertisements

Tags: , , ,

Categories: London living

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

11 Comments on “The Thames”

1. September 16, 2008 at 4:27 am #

Yes, it’s cold. My bum is literally freezing off (I should put some pants on). I didn’t know about the festival so I missed it. Good pictures, thanks.

2. mirvettium
    September 16, 2008 at 9:57 am #

Cheers, should go next year. Definitely is a weekend well spent.

3. Vivian Siow
    September 16, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

Autumn? it’s still summer! (although last few weeks of it) 😛

4. mirvettium
    September 16, 2008 at 3:11 pm #

September is still summer? I think you’re being over optimistic about how long your English summer is :).

5. September 20, 2008 at 12:27 am #

That first picture is awesome. And that churros looks a bit phallic 😉

6. mirvettium
    September 20, 2008 at 5:03 pm #

Y, thanks and yeah it does look rather phallic ;_;

7. September 21, 2008 at 3:04 am #

mirvettium, will you be photographing the London Free Wheel tomorrow (Sunday September 21)?

They’re blocking motorized transport off from a main road through London from the Tower of London to Buckingham Palace, and thousands of bicycle riders will descend on it between 0930 and 1630.

8. mirvettium
    September 21, 2008 at 6:06 pm #

Hi Tony, no though I did saw plenty of cyclers while walking down embankment today.

9. September 21, 2008 at 11:57 pm #

I went with my son, but we got split up in the crowds of cyclists on the road. It was a good day, though. It was the furthest I’ve cycled–four round trips of 10km each–in nearly 30 years.

10. mirvettium
    September 22, 2008 at 12:58 pm #

It was a lovely day for it. I saw a number of people hopping on and off their bikes to see some of the open houses.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. On yarn and craftiness « mirgraphy - October 3, 2008

[…] of crafty project as usual, but featured here are some yarn I purchased from Knit Shop during the Thames festival. The dark pink Chinese silk is quite lovely, but not quite sure what to do with them yet, but […]