A friend held a dumpling night a while back, everyone brings a filling and we make the dumplings on a long table ready for steaming. I never made dumpling before, but it was the perfect time to figure out how to this dumpling thing. I googled this dumpling recipe, and made a bit of modification to the recipe.
- SERVES 4 (or more)
- 1 package frozen round dumpling wrappers (or substitute regular wonton wrappers)
- 3 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup cubed medium-firm tofu (about 2/3 package)
- 1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves and stems, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 225g of water chestnut
- 1 tsp. chili sauce (or more if you want them spicy)
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- Remove dumpling wraps from freezer. The dumpling wraps will need at least 2 hours before using.
- Prepare a steamer by lining it with 1 or two layers of baking power (to keep dumplings from sticking). I used a traditional bamboo steamer set over a pot of boiling water, but you could also use a colander with a tight-fitting lid.
- Place all Filling Ingredients together in a food processor or large chopper and blitz to create the mushroom-tofu filling.
- Lay 6 dumpling wrappers out at once over a clean working surface. Also have ready a small bowl of water for sealing the dumplings.
- Spoon a little of the filling in the middle of each wrapper (about 1 tsp.). Then dip your fingers (or a pastry brush) in the water and moisten all around the outside of the wrapper.
- Bring the sides of the wrapper up over the filling and press together to seal. If it doesn’t seal, moisten the edges with a little more water.
- Pinch along the seal to create a decorative edge (see picture).
- Set the finished dumplings on a plate dusted with corn starch or flour. Steam the dumplings right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 hours.
- To steam, place the dumplings in the lined steamer (they can be touching) and steam over high heat for 15 to 20 minutes (mushrooms need to be well cooked).
- Serve with soy sauce and chili sauce with a squeeze of lime or sweet kecap manis with a squeeze of lime and chopped red chilli
You can freeze the dumplings, to do this line a baking tray with baking paper and space the dumplings so they don’t touch. Slide the baking tray in the freezer for 2 hours, take the tray out and store in a plastic container making sure you line the layer with baking tray.