Sometimes it’s all about how the cookie crumbles, or in this case how the bread crumb crunches. In the spirit of crunchy zen coupled with the autumn breeze sweeping through Sydney’s evening sky I hunted for this old fashioned Macaroni and Cheese recipe.
This really easy recipe is taken from Vegetarian Times. I love the zing added by the onion and garlic powder. My only complaint is that this is too small for 6 people! Definitely double the portion if planning to share this out.
Classic Macaroni and Cheese
Panko breadcrumbs are the secret ingredient in this dish. The crunchy breading often used in Japanese fried foods gives baked dishes a crispy topping similar to broiled cheese.
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter or nonhydrogenated margarine
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs. onion powder
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 cups skim milk
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ lb. (2 cups) elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp nutmeg (this is my addition to the recipe)